Saturday 16 May 2015

Saturday in Gdansk. Tourists everywhere!!

Breakfast all done, the plan was to call in at the Tourist Information Office and check out the ferry to Hel !!  Only one L in this place !  Come on, it gives you plenty of chance to come up with "It must be one L of a place"  Oh well, suit yourself.

The ferry runs from Gdynia which I'm aiming at for my next stop.  However, back to today in Gdansk.

From the Tourist Information it was just a couple of hundred metres to St Mary's Basilica where I wanted to see the Astronomical Clock.  Chatting with Camille the hostel receptionist she said that the tower was open to the public and great views could be had over the city.

Camille on duty.

On the way to the Tourist Office, Jack's Tower.

Looks like he means business!  I'll try to find out who he is.

Just amazing buildings.  That's St Mary's, the dark building at the back, and I'm still on my way to the Tourist Office.

The Four Quarters Fountain.

It's just not trying at the moment and anyway, the lion on the right is having a drink!

Mariacka.

The same place, it's down there between the two left hand pointy bits.

Out there are the shipyards where the workers union "Solidarity" started.

The fancy bit on top of the Town Hall.

I counted 407 going up, either that or it was my pulse rate!?!

The light through that window was fantastic against the white of the interior.

Just to give you an idea of size, that's the window from the outside.

The Astronomical Clock.  The very top is the theatre, the apostles being chased to heaven by death with Adam and Eve striking the hours and quarters.
The central part is the planetarium with the proper clock, zodiac signs and a disc with the phases of the moon.
The bottom part is the liturgical timeline: a disk filled with, to me, indecipherable marks but understood by???




Upland's Gate, caught just as a guided tour party turned up!

A shiny silver Touch Me I'm Lucky Tree.

This was purely to help me recover from the 407 steps up that tower, honest!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment