Monday 4 May 2015

Saturday 2nd, Sunday 3rd and Monday 4th!!

And it all started so well!  At the end of the street was a market place and it was heaving, folk buying big trays of plants, bunches of cut flowers, shrubs and one guy selling what looked like home made garden tools.  From the market it was a short walk to the tourist office where I got a town map (in English).


A fifteen minute walk up the road took me to the Akropolis, the largest shopping mall in Klaipeda; I needed to sort some cash out as many of the smaller establishments I frequented didn't take cards and the girl at reception said it would be the best place to go.

The place was immense; found the cash machines and got that business out of the way.  My plan was to follow a route around the old town to see some of the recommended points of interest, however when I got to the door the heavens had opened so a wander around the mall seemed in order

Just to give you an idea, there are over 230 of the well known brand names plus many local stores, a huge Maxis supermarket (you could get a couple of Elgin's Tesco stores in it), around 20 restaurants and cafes, bowling, a cinema and an ice rink.  I must have spent at least two hours watching a junior ice hockey league play off.  The kids were really giving it some wellie and with food outlets all around the rink you could enjoy your coffee, pizza or whatever while parents cheered their kids on.

I thought it all quite tastefully done

Even a train to take you around!!

Outside it had eased off to a steady downpour so collar up, fold my buff into a bonnet and make a dash back to my room.

Sunday morning and the plan was to do the tourist trail but somewhere along the way I'd eaten something that was fighting back, my innards were bubbling away like the Irn Bru factory.  Imodium and back to bed.  I stirred around 1330, watched a bit of TV and dozed, much annoyed as it was a sunny day.

Monday, woke up about 1400, wet outside.  Felt I should make an effort so got up 1600ish, made a cup of tea and thought about getting sorted but still haven't done it.  Time to post this and see if I can get my stuff into one little heap ready for tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment