Wednesday 8 April 2015

Tallinn! Was wondering if I'd ever make it

Biked through Gothenburg's Tuesday morning traffic to catch my train to Stockholm, found train and stashed bike on board.  Train was about fifteen minutes underway when the conductor comes along checking tickets, "Is it your bike?"  "Yes"  "There should be no bikes on this train, only on the slow train"  "Well I phoned SNCF who I booked through and was told it would be ok"  "Well there has been a mistake and I don't know what to do"  (I switched on the 'I'm old and helpless' look)  "You must make sure no one falls over you bike"  "Ok" I said and a few minutes later fell asleep.

Only two stops as it was on the fast train; first stop, opened an eye and no one fell over my bike.  Second stop, still no one fell over my bike, however, some time later still in the station, later still folk were wandering off onto the platform for a smoke.  After a couple of Tannoy announcements I asked a guy what was happening, he said he wasn't sure, something wrong with the train or the line into Stockholm.  Coming up for two hours later I'm thinking I might miss the Tallinn ferry at this rate.  Another announcement this time Swedish and English "Every body off the train a fleet of coaches will take you to Stockholm"  Oh dear! I thought (Or words to that effect), three train loads of people plus baggage; there is no way I'm going to get my bike on one of those coaches.  Looking along a rank of taxis which was growing by the minute I spotted one which was fitted out to take a wheel chair, so before any wheel chair user thought of heading that way I collared the driver, got my bike on board and was off to the ferry terminal arriving with just under ten minutes to close of check in.

Stockholm from port side

















Stockholm from starboard

















Sunset over Sweden


Estonia, and boat in two and a half hours early.  Below, first view of the old town.  The gate at Fat Margaret's Tower.  More from the old town tomorrow, it's my bed time!

No comments:

Post a Comment