Saturday 11 April 2015

Roadworks and goulash!

Saturday 11th.  Was intending an early start but after making a brew and then much fumbling about stowing stuff in my bags I finally hit the road at 0915.  I don't know if this is the usual scene on weekends but the road was amazingly quiet, saw about six cars in the first hour and a half!  I'm sure they were saving it up for my next few Km.

A road works sign and red and white markers along the sides.  The road surface changed from a smooth black top to chunky hard core with the odd bit of old road surface showing through now and again. 

By now the truckers had come out to play, this meant hammering along at well over the proscribed 50KPH.  To be fair they gave me plenty of room but it was like being sand blasted as they passed.  After about 5 Km of this an alternative route was signed; once away from the dust bowl I cleared my tubes of grit and powdered rock, cleaned the grot off of my glasses and carried on.

The scenery was much the same as it had been earlier, grassy wetland and forest, individual houses set back in the trees ranging from small, and some not so small mansions to dilapidated shacks; forestry was certainly the main industry.  some of the villages had ploughed fields around them but I didn't see any sign of cattle.

A not very inspiring photo of the ruined monastery at Padise followed by an even less inspiring photo of the typical scenery along much of the road.

Maybe not inspiring but pretty well traffic free.

The Main Hoose of the B&B / Hostel set up taken from my garret window.  The lady asked if I wanted food as there is nowhere close by to eat; the choice was goulash or goulash so I thought I'd opt for the goulash.

It was excellent!  Roll on breakfast!!

No comments:

Post a Comment