Sunday 12 April 2015

Angry Dog??

Yesterday's steady slog got me to a wee place near Laanemaa, the Rehe Hostel
www.reheturismitalu.ee  Home of the Angry Dog!

 I'm not sure what they fed it, probably small children or the like!!  I certainly saw and heard it but wasn't sure how to say 'go away' (or similar) in Estonian.  It took not a blind bit of notice of Anglo-Saxon!!

A great place to stay and the goulash was excellent.  Breakfast: bread and butter, two fried eggs, a selection of cold meat, sliced tomato, cucumber and cheese followed by some blueberry tart, a glass of fresh orange and enough coffee to float a battle ship!

My wee garret along with free wi-fi.

Sorting out on-going travel plans.

The boss lady and keeper of the Angry Dog.

About an hour into today's riding the sky began to darken and not look at all good.  Another twenty minutes or so and the first spots were hitting me.  No bus shelters in sight just when you need one; a convenient tree had to do for cover while I put my jacket on and hopped about trying to stuff my feet down the legs of my over trousers, then it was head down and pedal into a cold wet head wind.

The signs for Haapsalu were showing five km to go when the rain eased off.  I hadn't booked anywhere to stay but knew there was a hostel shown in my guide book and so as I rode towards the town centre was pleased to see a sign pointing to Hostel.

Well signed and easy to find, nice and warm but no one in reception.  Some serious door rattling an d a head appeared from a room along the corridor,"Is anybody in charge?"  "I don't think there is anybody here today, Sunday is their day off, you must phone them".  By this time a few more folk had arrived on the scene.  I got through on my phone and handed it to one of the guys who could speak good English, he asked about a room for tonight, the Management apparently said I was welcome to stay tomorrow but not tonight!

The first guy went back into his room returning with his laptop, the English speaker was saying that he had heard of another hostel but wasn't sure where in town it was.  A bit more on line searching and a phone call, this time the receptionist could also speak English, "Yes there was a room" and they were only five minutes along the road!  Profuse thanks to my 'helpers' and in less than five minutes I was there.

The hostel www.spordibaasid.ee is part of a big sports complex, swimming pool, gym etc.  The accommodation is very good, nice big kitchen and a supermarket almost next door.  Sorted!  Bike stowed away, quick trip to the shop for eats, more free wi-fi and here we are.

Hope to have time for a quick look around the 'Venice of the North' before  heading off down the road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment