Thursday 16 April 2015

A long day and a cold night!

Up at six, a brew and a breakfast of soup, cheese and salami perfect pedalling fodder!  No staff in the hostel until 0900 so did as I was asked and got my self sorted, bike loaded, locked the door behind me and put the key through the letter box.

A dull morning but what bit of wind there was blowing was coming from the north west and gave good reason for these to be called the 'Baltic' States; thankfully the wind was on my back for the moment! 

My aim was to get as far down the road as I could towards Parnu.  According to the guide book it was 75km to Parnu but I figured there could be a typo in the figures as the road sign said 137km, I'd added up the bits on all the sectional maps and got it to 153km.  Anyway I thought it was a fair way to go.

The route followed a relatively main road but even so it was never busy, you might get four or five vehicles coming past in a little convoy and then nothing for ages, even big trucks gave a wide berth. 

Estonia is quite flat along the Baltic coast; I find I can do 'flat' quite well, even slight downhill!  It's the up bits with a bike and panniers roughly the weight of a .....   Oh stop moaning and get on with it.

At around 40km the road took a sharp right and soon after that right again crossing the Kasari Jogi (the o in Jogi should have a wee squiggle on top) I think it means river.

Just over the bridge was a small eatery, time for a coffee and the only thing I could recognise on the chalked up menu, Burger.  When the lady running the establishment brought it through I thought "well that's me set for the next half hour" the bun was on the bigish side and was supporting a mass of coleslaw in a fairly runny mayonnaise; I'm sure she was peering through the curtain at the back of the shop laughing her socks off as once started there was no going back!  Mayo running down my sleeve, trying to stop the coleslaw falling out of the back of the bun, the mayo soaked bun now the consistency of wet cardboard, and yes!  a home made burger.  This was confirmed by the lady's daughter who had arrived by bike and could speak a little English.  It was an Elk burger!!

On saying "Thank you" and "Good bye"  got back the ubiquitous "Have a nice day".

A couple of things seen en route:

Not sure if that was my burger!

After another 35km Birgit's Place looked most welcoming

Coffee and a sort of soft cinnamon biscuit/cake.

A further 34km and I'd had enough for the day.  109km and I pulled in at Chateaux Busstop!  In need of some renovation but a quiet location and as far as I could make out the next bus not until 0630.

  Ah well night night!!



No comments:

Post a Comment