Wednesday 22 April 2015

A bit of warm sunshine for a change.

10:00, loaded up and ready to depart Riga.  A bit of traffic dodging to get myself onto the bridge marked in my guide book to cross the Daugava and a few parting shots for the album.

Very "Soviet" lookinga  A monument to the Riga Riflemen.

The railway bridge and behind it the TV Tower, the highest in the EU and 3rd highest in Europe (Correct when the guide was printed)  It stands at 368 metres, roughly 1150 ft.

The quite stunning National Library building.

The white blob is a cruise liner coming into Riga and the Vansu Bridge which is the one I was supposed to be on!

What a building!  I would like to see the restored product, scaffolding and covers off.


Wooden buildings, typical of the Riga area.

After some imaginative route finding I was now on a lovely bike trail for about 10km, railway line on the embankment and woods and fields to the right.  The track took me into the outskirts of Jurmala and my next hostel.

I'd seen assorted locks and chains on a number of bridges, apparently the newly wed do it to signify "Shackled for life"  or perhaps it was an "unbreakable bond"?  Yes, that sounds more like it!!

 
You could lose a whole tribe of kids down those tubes and never know where they might reappear!

No comments:

Post a Comment