Sunday 7 June 2015

Sunday 7th, Route planning, a cross country thrash coming up heading towards Bremerhaven.

A short day today, I needed to find somewhere where I could get some washing done and spread out in the sun to dry, things were backing up as I'd been moving on most days recently.

On one of the latest maps I acquired I spotted a hostel symbol in a wee village (Klingberg) It's a couple of Km inland from Scharbeutz which is around 25km north of Lubeck.  So I'm not that far out of what was E Germany.

The B&B I chanced upon was great, I'd done 100 metres shy of 70km and decided that was enough.  I was picking my way north through the outskirts of Travemunde and cut through a short wooded trail, as I pulled out onto the street there was the sign "Zimmer Frei, B&B".  Brakes on; there was the lady of the house sat on her balcony enjoying the late afternoon sun.

Yes, there was a single room available.  Sorted!

Bags off-loaded, I was given a town map with recommended eateries marked on for me, so it was back on the bike for a short run down the road.  Beer in hand I was reading through the menu trying to decipher what was what, the few words of German that I knew could sort out Herring, schnitzel etc. but Labskaus?  The barman sort of explained that it was meat, potatoes and that he sort of stirred his hands around, ok, mince and tatties or a stew would be fine, I knew that it came with beetroot and pickled gherkins as well. 

It was while waiting to see what I was going to be eating when it struck me, Lobscouse, it must be the same sort of thing!  Anyway, see for yourself.

What I hadn't worked out was that it came with onions, pickled herring and a fried egg on top!  You can rest assured the plate was cleared and delicious it was too.

Back at the B&B a German couple had arrived also cycling.  I was intrigued by the lady's bike, it was a Cannondale E-bike and the battery was good for over 100km !!





Got one of myself taken as well.

From Travemunde the riding was through the Sunday crowds pottering along the promenade; I was heading north west towards Brodten, Timmendorfer Strand and Scharbeutz before turning inland.

Wicker windbreak chairs locked until you've paid your fee.

All very neat and tidy!  In Timmendorfer Strand.

 
Time to sort out all my stuff, I've got kit spread all over the room, I'll get most of it packed this evening ready for a sharp exit tomorrow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment