Sunday 21 June 2015

Emden Germany to Delfzijl Netherlands and on to Bierum.

The previous day's reconnaissance ride to find the ferry departure point had been worthwhile as it was about 5km out of town in an industrial harbour area, it also gave me a chance to check out the name of the three master I photographed yesterday (forgot the name by the time I was back at the hostel).

She's the Heureka.

Here comes my ferry, about to swing round and come alongside to pick up the bunch of cyclists and walkers waiting to cross the Dollard, a  large body of water near the mouth of the Ems river.  The German/Dutch border runs through the Dollard.  Two years ago I'd had to cycle around the Dollard because I was too early in the season for the ferry to be running so I figured that as I'd cycled it once this time I'd take a boat ride.

Lots of riders off to do the Dollard Route back to Emden.

Some seriously big merchant vessels taking on cargo.

The crossing took just over an hour and once in Delfzijl I reloaded my bike and headed off north along the dyke road towards Bierum.  My intention was to call in on a couple of great folk who very kindly let me use a house they just happened to have available when I was cold and tired on my last trip.

I vaguely recognised the track junction and turned off through the gate, about three hundred metres further on I spotted the small B&B sign by the hedge and rode into the yard.  Joop was working in the greenhouse and did a double take when he recognised me.  Again I was made very welcome and was soon clutching a coffee while we waited for Sophie to return from a brief trip to town.

On the Thursday Joop had some family business in Groningen and Sophie had a voluntary job at a hospice.  I'd already been through Delfzijl and so it was suggested I went to see Appingedam, a city but very small and with character.





The bells and clock workings could be seen through the gaps around the clock faces.







A Burgher of the City now immortalised in bronze.

Cycling back through Marsum.  It's not my photography, the church tower had a definite list to starboard!

This came to join me while I had a cup of tea.

The prime spot!  The old dog would stand and bark at the cat as if saying "Come on, it's my turn now".

A second very pleasant evening was spent around the table before I had to get my bags sorted for the following morning.  The wind was going to be in my face for the best part of 60km on my way to Lauwersoog and the campsite.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment