Sunday 21 June 2015

Lauwersoog to Nieubildtdijk, talk about "Landing on your feet" and on to Harlingen.

The Shepherd on top of the dyke keeping an eye on his flock!

 Wind turbines marching off into the distance near Emshaven.

After the thrash against the wind to Lauwersoog I was looking for a reasonably short day.

I got the tent stowed away almost dry and went off to reception to pay my dues, I'd taken my time knowing that the camp restaurant didn't open until 1000 and that was where I planned to breakfast.

Breakfast, green tea and apple tart, now how healthy is that?  I'm not sure what the white stuff is that the waitress insisted in putting on my plate!?!

After crossing 7km of dyke damming off the Lauwersmeer the road was left behind and pleasant trails cutting through fields and villages was followed.  The trail took me past some of the things I'd seen on the NSCR in 2013.



The church at Nes.

What to do with any old seafaring stuff laying about!



The anchor is still there to keep my bike safe while I had lunch at the bar across the road!


My plan, such as it was, was to get to Nieubildtdijk and see if I could get a bed at The Old Schoolhouse Bunkhouse I'd stayed at previously.

1700 ish I slowly pedalled past the building, the bunkhouse was there but no B&B sign.  This was looking like a bit of a non starter.  Quick think up a plan B.  A few hundred metres back along the road I'd seen a B&B sign, try that.  Pedal back down the road and into the driveway, ring bell, dogs barking in the house, not a bad sign.  No one comes to the door.  I keep ringing the bell, still no one and dogs going mental!  Ok, plan C, back up the road and into Sint Annaparochie (St Ann), it's only about 3km, I'm bound to find something there.

By this time I'm slowly pedalling past the Old Schoolhouse again.  A shout from a group of people enjoying a drink in the evening sunshine "You need some help?".  I explain that I was looking for a B&B and that I'd stayed at the bunkhouse two years ago.

"There are new owners now but they're out"

"Yes, and I've tried the B&B along the road and there is no one there either"

"I'll make a phone call for you, there is another B&B further back along the road"  (No answer).

"Wait here with these ladies I'll go and see someone"  And off goes Jos on his bike!

Dretske indicates where to leave my bike, a large glass of wine is handed to me and I'm introduced to Rea, Astrid and Lydia who along with Jos and Dretske have been putting the world to rights.  Serious stuff; the women are all involved in social work and they were really discussing some local issues.

Jos returned having drawn a blank.  "There is a room here where you can stay and you can eat with us all this evening we are having an Indonesian meal.

Rea taking the photo, me with my feet under the table!!

The view was over acres of corn field, a farmhouse in the trees and the North Sea over the horizon.

L to R, Jos had prepared the meal and done an excellent job! Rea, Lydia and Astrid I may have mixed up, if so my apologies, I'd had a glass or three of wine by this time!  And on the right, Dretske.

Underneath the slices of fruit was yoghurt, apple and black cherries.

A most enjoyable evening !!

This morning it was lashing down!  The forecast was to brighten up, but when?

I'd been given breakfast, planning to leave around 0900, it was still pouring.  My hosts insisted, stay until it improves.  Lunch arrived! 

1230 ish it was looking brighter and the rain had calmed down to a drizzle.

Time to go.  I couldn't thank Jos and Dretske enough for their kindness and hospitality but I had to move on.

A couple of kilometres along the dyke I came to De Zwarte Haan (The Black Hen) which is one of the starting points for the Camion de Santiago de Compostella.



6.5km from there you come to Sint Jacobiparochie (St Jabik) (Need to check translation!)

Oh what I'd give for a lorry load of ready-mix!!

I've no idea what happened to the church!

I don't think its seen a train in a while!

A sailing barge in Harlingen.

The old Town Hall circa 1778.

Got to get to the tourist office in the morning the check out hopefully my last map before home.

No comments:

Post a Comment