Monday 1 June 2015

Saturday and a quiet night in Wolgast, Sunday equally quiet in Greifswald, Monday and two school parties turn up at the hostel !!

A leisurely amble from Wolgast to Greifswald (40km) staying at a Jugendherberge, part of the International Youth Hostel system.

Just a wee street in Wolgast.

0930 and a quiet Sunday morning in Wolgast.

Once out of town there was a little bit of road riding but most of the route was cycle track away from the main flow of traffic.

Got into Greiswald about 1315 and made my way to the hostel.  A very pleasant 45minutes was spent dozing in the sunshine waiting for the 1400 checking in time when a charming young lady came over from the hostel and asked if I wanted to book in.  I handed over my passport so that she could check my ID, she kept flicking through the pages giving me an odd look when I realised she kept referring to the Russian visa page; I explained what was what and found her the appropriate page and all was well.

I had planned to walk into town and get a bite to eat as the hostel restaurant was not open until breakfast this morning.  However another quick doze finished around 1930 so making do with some slices of cheese, a few almonds, some blueberries, a banana, a piece of chocolate and an apple to finish off with that was me sorted until breakfast this morning.

Fed and watered it was time to head into Greifswald to find the tourist information office and check out cycle route maps which would take me towards Rostock where I would connect with the Ostsee Route and onward to Lubeck where I would get another map taking me towards the Dutch border.

Greifswald is one of the oldest University town in Germany the university being founded in 1456.





The University founder Caspar David Friedrich immortalised in bronze.

St Nicholas' Cathedral, first documentary evidence 1280.  A Cathedral since the University founding.  Baptistery of Caspar David Friedrich.

The Rathus (Town Hall) back door! 




Bronze door in the side of the Rathus commemorating the town's surrender to the Soviet Army without resistance on 29th April 1945, done to avoid the town's destruction.

Front of the Rathus facing into the Market Square.  Part of the Rathus foundations are Medieval, with documentary evidence as "Kophus" (Company Hall) in 1369.

The Market Square is also home to a large part of the "CafĂ© Culture".  I'd finished the coffee, now for the mega pancake covered in apple sauce!

There are things one just has to do!!

Back to architectural culture!



Eel fishing in the fountain.





Part of the old University building, now undergoing renovation.


The Rubenow Monument, inaugurated in 1856 for the University's 400th anniversary.

St James' dating from 1275.  The smallest of Greifswald parish churches.

The lighting doesn't do the stained glass justice.

Facing the Rubenow Monument, the Old University Frontage.


A last look at St Nicholas' Dom Tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment