Tuesday 23 June 2015

Nearly there now!!

Crossing the Ijsselmeer Dyke, 81km on the main road, roughly 100km on the coastal bike trail.  I'll be around the 2000 mile mark by the time I get home.

The sun was shining in Harlingen during breakfast but by the time I'd loaded the bike up it was hammering down and there was a rumble of thunder in the air!

I had some time in hand before I was due to check out so waited for the rain to ease before wandering up to the Tourist Office to look for what I hoped would be the last map I'd need to get me to Ijmuiden and my ferry back to Newcastle.

Map tucked away in my bag and sun now shining I took a few last photographs before leaving Harlingen.

A fine array of sailing barges in the inner harbour.



The old harbour offices, now a restaurant; the new offices are in the white building to the left.

The three master in the background was heading for Breezanddijk to cross into the Ijsselmeer.

The harbour end of the strand, a forest of masts and the broad gravel roadway which was my route south out of town.

Waiting to go through the bridge and lock into the Ijsselmeer.

A bright spell between showers.  35km of bike path from Zurich (Not the Swiss one) to Den Oever, the Ijsselmeer on the left and Waddenzee and the North Sea hiding behind the bushes.

Tuesday 23rd, a cold, showery and windy day, I'm glad I decided to stay put in Den Oever, a couple of easy days should see me in Ijmuiden with a quick blast into Amsterdam..

No comments:

Post a Comment