Monday 29 April 2013

Edinburgh - Newcastle (Continued)

Sat 20th April, said goodbye, again, to Edward and wishing each other well on our respective journeys I headed towards the coast to get back on NCR1.  Bamburgh Castle was the first thing of note after passing the (possiblly) Roman lookout tower,  soon to be followed by Warkworth Castle.  A pleasant riverside ride got me into Amble, coffee and flapjack time!


Des res? Was told it was possibly a Roman lookout tower
Bamburgh Castle


Coffee and flapjack in Amble

On South to Lynemouth where I'd hoped to find a campsite; as far as I could make out campsites there had closed!  However,I was told there were two sites at Newbiggin by the Sea, true, though neither took tents!  Starving, I bought a takeaway pizza  and ate most of it sat on the promenade planning what to do.
Newbiggin by the Sea...pizza, pondering and planning

The remaining pizza saved is for breakfast

On to North Seaton, Blyth, Seaton Sluice, stopping in Whitley Bay I polished off the remaining slices of pizza.  It was pushing 2230 by now and a chilly wind was blowing.  I piled on my waterproofs, wishing I'd kept my winter gloves rather than leave them in Edinburgh!  My bike and I were in a  bus shelter, well appointed as it had enough seating for me to lay out on!  The occasional bus stopped, was ignored by me and drove on.  I figured it wouldn't be long before I had a visit fron the law and so decided to bike and walk on to Newcastle as it was now 0100ish.  I rode along the sea front to North Shields and was now walking for a while to  shake the muscles out, about to cross the road a police car pulled up, "Are you lost"?  "Not really" I said and explained about a lack of campsites permitting tents.  He thought for a moment and then offered the opportunity of a seat in the warmth of the police station!  "Oh yes please".  A slow drive as I sprinted to keep the car in sight!  Bike stashed in a corridor and me clutching a hot coffee sat in what I took to be an interview room, yep, that would do nicely thank you!  I pulled some of the chairs together for a bed and that was me sorted for what was left of the night!  Another brew in the morning and I was on my way around 0645.  A huge thanks Simon.
Bed...my night in the cop shop! Thanks Simon.


A sunny ride into Newcastle and book in to the Albatross Backpackers.  Shower and head down for a couple of hours!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad it was a makeshift bed in the interview room...not a night in the cells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that the north-east folk still have good hearts. Brings back memories of our years in that part of the country.

    ReplyDelete