Monday 29 April 2013

Edinburgh - Newcastle

1st leg: to Belford 97.9km.  A bleary eyed Louise waved me off at 0430 for a damp, breezy ride through the crack of dawn traffic and  trying to avoid sliding into the Princess St. tram tracks before coasting down the slope into Waverly Station.  I'd arrived in good time to get breakfast, banana on a toasted and buttered seeded bage and a double shot latte to help keep me awake!  The 0548 to King's Cross made its first stop at Dunbar which was the earliest and closest I could get to North Berwick having already done  that section with Louise two days earlier.
Dawn over Dunbar
Torness Power Station with Bass Rock in the distance

Eyemouth harbour from cafe window...2nd breakfast














On old bridge at Berwick upon Tweed

As it says...Belford

Bluebell Farm camping barn

My plan was to get to Berwick Upon Tweed and into the hostel for the night, what a plan! no joy there.  However, on an Independant Hostel guide I'd picked up a while ago there was a Camping Barn at Bluebell Farm in the village of Belford, a phone call confirmed bed space and four freshly cooked doughnuts from a street stall in Berwick fortified me for the two hourish ride to Belford.  As it turned out I was the only occupant off the 'barn' it was far too plush to be  termed barn, but I wasn't complaining!!  To round off the turn in fortune there was a chip shop by the farm entrance!!  Fed, watered and showered, a TV and warm room!!  Camping barn!?! I can recommend that one.


Leg 2: Belford - Alnwick  49.3km.  A short, pleasant ride ion a cold but sunny day.  One stop I made was at a small garden centre, I spotted an ice cream sign and thought they might just do tea as well, however, an ice cream and soft drink were fine as the yard was a sun trap, an older couple were sorting plants and boxes when a younger woman arrived.   She was sporting a classic 'chemo' bandana head scarf, and after chatting for a while she said she was undergoing treatment for breast cancer' we swapped stories for a while before wishing each other all the very best  for the outcome of our treatments.  Refreshing to find folk who  are prepared to talk about their cancer as an every day thing.
Alnwick hostel is a well appointed place, warm, comfortable, a bright new kitchen and dining area and a bike store like Fort Knox!!
A chance meeting; as I was sat in the bunk room deciding what to stuff my face with (Curry and a tin of tomatoes from the spare food box (I needed the liquid)).  Another gentleman of 'senior years' came in.  The usual sort of conversation ensued, come far?  Where're you heading?, when I put the same questions to him (name of Edward), He said "Well, I've done a few longish walks over the years, this time I'm walking to Rome"!!  It transpires he's done whole of the Santiago de Compostella walk, from his door in Fife, five times!!!  The following day he was off about twenty minutes before me, a short time after I'd set off I passed him as I freewheeled down hill, about ten minutes later he caught me up going up hill!

I'll get Louise to add the pics and get this posted, I'm rambling!!


No comments:

Post a Comment