Tuesday 14 May 2013

Germany 3 (It's a long way).

Monday 6th May.  Wilhelmshaven - Small campsite near Schwiburg.  The Black Hotel produced a good breakfast but no brew making facilities in the fairly threadbare room (until I got my stove unpacked), no Wi-Fi  (W-LAN in Germany) and even the smallest of smiles would have improved matters!  Anyway, Onwards!
Getting out of Wilhelmshaven was a frustrating period of trial and error.  The area I was trying to find my way through bore no resemblance to the map; it appears that a brand new container port has been built, bike trails re-aligned and signage not at its best.  
A school bus pulled in close by, it looked as though he was having a break before starting his round.  He peered at my map, pointed out a route and then capped by saying "But bicycles are not permitted on that road"!!  Eventually I picked a direction that looked least likely to end up in a factory and that was it!  Cracked it, a pleasant ride by the water side, eventually getting away from the industrial side of things.  On quiet back roads or on smooth tarmac bike tracks alongside busier roads I was heading towards Blexen and the ferry to Bremerhaven.  Around 1600 I spotted the sign 'Camping',  That's enough for today, I'll be too late for the ferry and anyway, it's not a race!  (49.9k)

Power Station









Smooth tarmac, sun and following wind

Trail contrast


Windmill mosaic on garage wall
Asked if he'd mind my bike

Sculpture on trail around The Jade Bight

Sculpture on trail around The Jade Bight














!?! But I think she is lovely!
Home for the night. Small campsite near Schwigburg

A wee treat....

Well earned!! 
I think it's evaporating
Awwwww!

Tuesday 7th May.  Campsite via Blexen ferry - Bremerhaven.  Packed up camp, in the dry this time, pedalled into Schwiburg and posted home the maps no longer required.  A bit of imaginative navigation got me clear of Schwiburg and off through fields and hamlets towards Blexen.  1030, time for elevenses!



< Right on cue, The Mill Cafe and Gallery.  I parked up the bike and wandered in, a lady appeared from the kitchen, "Ein Koffe schwartz bitter", back came in far better English than my German "I'm sorry we're closed, but I'll make you a coffee".  She happened to be the owner of the place and was preparing to open at the weekend with an art exhibition.  Chatting, she said that she had cycled in Scotland some twenty five years ago.



I rolled up to the ferry just as it was pulling in, a quick turnaround and we were away across the Wesser.  A fifteen minute journey and off in Bremerhaven.  I was on the lookout for tourist info to update maps and find out where the Jugendherberge was.  I was pushing my bike through a pedestrianised area when a guy on a Segway rolled past me and into a fancy shop.  There was a big promotion going on to push E-bikes, a bit like the Cycle to Work scheme in UK.  I thought I'll go and ask about low rider pannier frames, I really need to spread the weight on the bike a bit, apart from me all the kit is over the back wheel!!  I spoke to the 'main man' who seemed to be fronting the show and sure enough he wanted to pass me on to a minion asap!  The minion in this case was a young lady minding the drinks and nibbles department.  By the time another minion came back asking "What were low rider pannier frames"? I'd just about finished my evening meal! drinks included!!  (44.7k)

Two other chilly cyclists on the Blexen - Bremerhaven Ferry

Approaching Bremerhaven
Modern Bremerhaven














Wednesday 8th May.  Bremerhaven - Otterendorf.  By comparison with other cities Bremerhaven was a doddle to get away from; up the road to the first big junction, turn left, keep going, if your feet get wet you're in the Wesser!  (See, there is a sense of humour there).  It worked, the bike trail was about 5 mtrs from wet feet.  A great piece of tarmac and with the wind!!  I was originally aiming for Cuxhaven, but was going well and had been told that Otterendorf was a nicer place.  It seemed to have been a good move, the JHB was nice, friendly staff and the first four hours of Wi-Fi were free!  (67.5k)

A lighthouse of restricted growth, Wremen














Some May Pole!!
Church in Altenwalde

No comments:

Post a Comment