Friday 10 May 2013

Germany 1.


Wednesday 1st May.  Ditzum - Emden.  Had just got my bike loaded up outside the B&B when a guy walking by asked if I'd travelled very far, the conversation then moved on to "Where are you going"?  "Don't get the next ferry (1100 which had been the plan), get the next one, there will be a celebration here at 1100, I will lock your bike in my garage while you look at the village.
A small crowd was clapping and then folk were handing out alcohol!  It turns out that the guy 'looking after my bike was the local bank manager and one of his neighbours was opening a brand new cake and coffee shop!  I had a glass of schnapps thrust in one hand and a glass of Champagne in t'other!  I had to down the schnapps in a one and quickly change hands with the champers before I sprayed the room with it!!  I was introduced to a grizzled looking character who turned out to be the ferry Captain, he was also dealing with Parkinson's though on a far heavier dose of medication than me!
Off the ferry on the Emden side and it was a short but pleasant run along the river side into the city and to the hostel.  10.7k.

The new cake shop opens







Champers, coffee and a crab!

Thursday 2nd May.  Emden - Grimersum.  Into the city centre for the tourist info office, another map required.  Soon sorted and on my way (so I thought); stopped near a junction having a peer at the map, I was accosted and told "Noordzee Route is there" pointing at a small turning, sure enough I could spot the sign on a lamp post.  Soon 'on route' I was directed down a side street and thought, I'm sure I recognise that building!  It took another hour of searching and backtracking to finally get away from Emden.
Hours more of 'head down and keep pedalling'.  It was really off putting to get overtaken by people more 'wrinkly' than me batting along on E bikes!  It was no suprise though to be passed by two lycra clad riders shooting along on super light road bikes!  A short distance ahead was a car park, toilet stop and coffee shop, the 'lycra' couple kindly pulled a chair up and pointed for me to join them.  They were a Dutch couple on holiday in their camper, staying locally but out for a ride to Greetsiel which was on my route.  Within a couple of minutes of leaving the coffee stop they were near out of sight!

More flooding dates on the way to Greetsiel



Pedaling on I was soon past the red and yellow lighthouse which features on most of the area tourist brochures.













Lunch stop just before Greetsiel, a very tasty fishcake in a bun! plus a coffee of course.







Greetsiel was an 'up market' resort, a modern spa area, plunge pools, sauna etc and a picturesque old vilage with its boutiques and posh cake shops.
A place I'd ear marked as a bed for the night (advertising as part of the Bike & Bed scheme) were the most miserable and bad tempered folk I'd come across on the trip so far (Not counting the driver this morning who cut me up; when I gave him a 'Churchillian' gesture he stopped and wound his window down and fired of a bunch of German invective; making sure I was out of reach, I came back with my best "Now see you Jimmy", The look of bemusement on his face was a picture, he just shrugged his shoulders and drove off).

Greetsiel wasn't going to provide a bed in my price range so it was back on the bike, next stop Grimersum.  I pedalled off the main road and over a little footbridge, all the while on the lookout for a B&B sign.  A lady and a small boy were gardening in the evening sunshine; "Excuse me, do you know if there is any camping, or a room for the night"?  "Yes, I have a house that is for tourists, it's that one", she said, pointing across the street.  Perfick!
She showed me around, turned on the heating and went through the assorted kitchen bits and pieces, when she asked how I was fixed for food I asked if I could buy a few slices of bread as I was pretty well sorted for that night.  About half an hour later the lady (Mica) reappeared with a half loaf, bottle of fresh farm milk, 6 eggs from her own chickens, and a pot of her own homemade cherry jam!!  It certainly improved upon what I had lined up for tea!!

Another little hoos!
Main bedroom (I used back room, didn't want to mess this one up!)
Bathroom, I did mess this room up though


Their farmhouse just across the way


No comments:

Post a Comment