Sunday 14 July 2013

Scotland (and home)!


It doesn't feel as though I've been away for three months!  I need to dig out the maps used early on and relate photos to locations, that should stir up a few memories, the 'face fungus' is a bit of a reminder as well though it will soon be gone!!

Tuesday 2nd July.  St Svithun Vanderheim, Stavanger - Burghead Moray via Dyce and Elgin. 
An early breakfast had been asked for so that I could catch the 0700 bus to Sola Airport.  However, breakfast turned out to be unlimited coffee, a large waffle, a banana, an apple and a carton of apple juice.  Apart from the coffee I stuffed the rest of my 'breakfast' into my backpack to be consumed at leisure through the day. 
It was 0645 and I still had to get my boxed bike out of the baggage store and down to the bus stop about 200mtrs away; seeing me manhandle a large and obviously heavy box out of the store one of the desk staff covering reception kindly offered to help carry it to the bus stop (she were a grand lass!!).  At the bus stop with five minutes or so to spare I stood watching the tunnel mouth from where the bus should appear; the receptionist who helped me carry the bike box down had told me that the timetable was wrong and that 0700 was when the bus left city centre, due at SUS 0712, no problem as the journey to Sola was only 17 minutes.  The bus was a couple of minutes late, not surprising considering the amount of traffic on the road at that time.  Hand signals to the driver got me a nod and thumbs up to stow the bike in one of the side storage lockers, that done I stepped up into the bus to pay the driver; the fare from SUS - Sola was 100 krone (£14 Norway is expensive!!) and that price was discounted by 25% to service personnel and geriatrics!
Due to the North Sea oil and all the ancillary businesses that are springing up in its wake Sola Airport is rapidly expanding and it looks as though the planners are actually planning, the bus having a wide lane and good parking area at the terminal.
Box off loaded and onto a baggage trolley, through the revolving door unscathed and aim for the check in.  E-ticket all in order an attendant leads me to the Special Baggage Security Zone; the best part of a roll of Gaffer Tape securing the box has to be cut to insert a 'sniffer probe' presumably checking for drugs and/or explosives!  All clear!  Box onto conveyor and away through a curtained hole in the wall.
A smooth flight with almost completely clear sky, flying over a rig it was possible to make out the gas flare and helipad quite clearly.  Cloud increasing as we approached Dyce and a wee jolt as the plane wheels touched down; nearly home!
Monday 1st July a number of texts were crossing the North Sea; I'd kindly been offered a lift from Dyce back to home!  Hmm??  Check weather forecast....wet!!...windy!!...I've had a gut full of that thanks!!  Txt..Hi Jim, Err yes please a lift would be great thanks, It's very kind of you to offer!!

Smooth landing, small bag was third piece on the carousel and a wait of only three or four minutes saw my bike box appear,  no one covering the 'Nothing to declare' channel and I'm into the arrivals hall.  What a star, Jim is already there.  It doesn't take long to escape the folk shambling around arrivals and once into the car park the bike box is loaded into the car; we're soon out of the airport and on to the A96 west bound.


Bacon roll had cropped up in conversation a number of times so roughly twenty minutes into the journey we pulled into a café/farm shop.  Bacon was side lined in preference of link sausage roll, three very tasty locally made bangers in a brown (healthy option) softy roll along with a large black coffee!  (no cake).
Fed and watered we were back on the road and made good time to Elgin, arriving, would you believe it, at lunchtime!!  Moments later Diane (my wife) drew up by the gateway, she was going to take my panniers and camping equipment etc. back to Burghead while Jim and I finished my journey by cycling the last eight miles back.
Gillian (Jim's wife) had prepared soup and sandwiches for us all, so after a filling lunch and yet more coffee Jim and I stripped the gaffer and parcel tape off of my bike box.  It was a bit like a conjurer's top hat, bits of bike, camping equipment, bags of clothes appearing and piling up and for an encore a pair of cycling shoes, a helmet and a bike frame!
Assorted bike parts were reassembled and checked, bike shoes on, helmet fastened.  Jim was all set, he was going to keep me company for the few miles back to Burghead. 
Overcast and looking grim but managing to stay dry we pedalled off along the road and up the hill past Spiny Hospital.  It wasn't long before we were riding through Roseisle and on to the last downhill stretch into the village, another 300mtrs and I was back home.  No balloons in evidence (good) but Diane had put up a nice 'Welcome Back' frieze!!

Wednesday 3rd July.  A 'sort out ' day, emptying bags, kit for washing, tent repacked, stove and pan cleaned.  Time for a wee bike ride!!!  Just a couple of miles to the next village and a quality control visit to The Primrose Café!!

Looks good enough to eat!

A taste test was equally positive!



Back home and I've stowed my bike away when an incoming text rings on my phone; it's from Francie (of team Kiwi), she and Matt have arrived in Elgin and are staying at a B&B, it would be great to meet up for a drink, they would be eating at The Muckle Cross around 8pm.




Matt and Francie!
The intrepid 'Team Kiwi'

Down through Scotland and on into deepest Englandshire and they've done it!!












No comments:

Post a Comment