Saturday 16 March 2013

Project prep.

Project Wee Bike Ride:  A bike trip I've had my eye on for a while is Thee North Sea Cycle Route (Google it!).

 Did a bit of research and discovered ferries no longer run between Bergen and Shetland, so a run down through the Islands is out until I get my act together for another trip, as is the Englandshire bit south of Newcastle (I want to have a few days in hand to do all the foreign stuff).

Plan:  Set off April 8th (Bound to be cracking weather by then!!), back roads and cycle ways on NCR1 to Aberdeen, down to Stonehaven, Montrose, Arbroath, Dundee, St Andrews, Kirkcaldy and over the bridge to Edinburgh and a comfy kip at daughter Louise's.  She's promised to take a couple of days off work and pace me over some of the next section!  NCR1 goes in land a bit via Melrose and Coldstream, so to stick close to the sea it's NCR76 through Dunbar, Berwick upon Tweed (Rejoin NCR1), Bamburgh, Amble and Blyth to Newcastle.  DFDS ferry to Ijmuden (Near Amsterdam), turn left and head north-ish through The Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, ferry to Sweden, on to Norway and to Stavanger, then it's a flight back to Aberdeen and back up the road to Burghead.  Around 4500 km, flight booked for 2nd July, got to get back for the birthday bash!!  70, or if you're a 'facebooker' 103.

The ride is for me, it's therapy!  The just giving links are there if you feel like dipping your hand in your pocket, hammering your American Express Platinum card (Visa, Mastercard or any other kind of plastic that will entice money from a hole in the wall), you can even text it!!  Go on, you know you want to!

A sincere thanks to anyone who parts with some of their hard earned cash; as I say, the ride is a therapeutic thing for me and not specifically done as a fund raiser but if the justgiving pages bring in a pound or two to help out the organisations that have helped me so much the better.


1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to the 0.035% of this that I can manage to keep up with you for! We shall be taking in some of the nicer interesting bits of the John Muir Way in East Lothian.
    I will also be catching you in Fife for some of that bit. :)

    ReplyDelete