Sunday 22 July 2012

Off tae Eigg



Heading doon!
Just a couple of pics from the previous day.

Day 4:  Same again, an 05:00 wake up!  My knee is feeling not too bad, the test will come when I'm up and about on it then we'll see!  Porridge made and scoffed, then, clutching a brew, crawl out to greet the day.  Oh no not more sunshine!  Perched on a rock in the lee of a wall I was able to enjoy the early warmth while drinking my tea, what a place to be!  I've no doubt it could have been a different tale if the weather had not been so kind to us or the breeze had not kept the curse of the west of Scotland away, midges would have made things dismal.
The troops were up and about now, busy preparing breakfast, sorting kit out and packing tents.  At 0840 we were all packed and off back up the track to Kinloch.  It was a short sharp pull to the high point of the trail followed by a long steady descent to the village hall (tea room).  We were aiming to catch the 1300 ferry  to Eigg via Canna, the ferry due to arrive at Eigg at 1400.  We had made good time to Kinloch giving us ample time for a stop off at the village hall to sample their coffee and sticky buns.  First class!!  After tea or coffee and stuffing our faces we vacated the village hall and made our way past the castle and along to the new pier.  My knee was holding out although stiffening up while sat at the tea shop but a few strides along the track got it going again!  Next stop was at the pier waiting for the ferry to turn up,  About ten minutes sitting in the sun was all we had before the ferry was spotted coming around the headland, another ten minutes and the bow ramp was down enabling vehicles and passengers for Rum to disembark, a few more minutes after that and we were offering our tickets for inspection and boarding for our next destination, Eigg.
Ian pointing out Halival while walking back to Kinloch
The ferry's first port of call from Rum was Canna where a few passengers got off along with boxes of supplies for the island.  Back to life on the briney, at least for half an hour or so!  14:00 and we were going up the slipway onto Eigg, it was then a short walk around the bay to an area where we could camp.  Tents were pitched, stoves lit and brews made, some of the team wandered back to the store, I think they were lusting after ice creams!  I sat in the sunshine enjoying a coffee with Paracetamol and Ibuprofen while waiting for my knee to ease down on the throbbing, in the meantime I'd pulled off my boots and socks and was sat with my feet soaking in the burn running close by the tents, magic!!
With a meal inside me and another brew I was feeling much better but decided to have an early night  and rest the knee rather than go for an evening walk and chance messing it up further.  A last brew of hot chocolate, a few pages of my book and sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment